CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

TTA--CHILDHOOD SUMMERS

What do you remember about your childhood summers?
-friends, vacations, activities


Summers in Boulder City, Nevada consisted of swimming at the city pool and playing with friends. A typical summer day looked much like this: 5:45 a.m. wake up and hop on my bike to go to swim team practice. I remember hesitating to dive into the cold pool and knowing that I would just have to jump right in to save some slow misery. I think swim practice would last about 2 hours and then I would either go home or hang out at the pool until my swim lesson. Then I would ride my bike home. The pool reopened to the public for open swim time at 1:00 and I would wait patiently until then so that I could ride my bike back up to the pool and swim all afternoon. On really lucky days my dad would take me back to the pool for Family Swim at 6:00. I have a picture of me, I am about 6 or 7, and I had the BEST tan! I am standing bare naked with just my bum showing. My skin was dark and my bum was so white. Those swimming days at the pool lead me to a fun job as a teenager as a swim coach, swim teacher and lifeguard.

I spent many summer days tending my brother. We would fight so bad while mom and dad were at work. But as soon as we would hear the garage door open we would say, "I wont tell if you wont."

We would play outside in the front yard until dark--the rule was that I had to come in when the street lights came on. On a summer day that was about 9 p.m. We would play kickball games and ride bikes from Bob and Betty's driveway to Thea's drive way. Back and forth, back and forth. Thea and I would play school or mommies with our baby dolls. We would create dances on the block wall between my house and the neighbors. One time I fell off the wall and scraped my whole leg.

I loved the smell of fresh cut grass when my Dad would mow the lawn and then I would sit on the swing set as he moved it out of the way so he could mow around it. I remember eating watermelon late at night and promising I wouldn't wet the bed....Yea right.

Those were the days!

1 comment:

raising4boys said...

Fun memories! I love the "I won't tell if you won't"

Do you still swim a lot? Why didn't you post the picture of your tan? J/K This post makes me excited for summer nights.