CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

More from the Second Term

All through out my planning and prep I followed this ticker.  
Cheers to a Second Term

We left Stephanie's moms house at 3 in the morning.  Seriously!  Even though we had tickets we still had to wait in many lines.  All along the way we met up with so many people that shared the same passions for democracy as I.  I loved the feeling of being ONE united people.  Each and every group of people we talked too had at least 1 teacher in it.  I found that interesting.  So not only did we have political views in common we had education in common.

We arrived on the lawn of the capitol about 3 hours before the program was to start.  Watching the sun rise over the Capitol was a moment in time that I will never forget.  I was filled with pride for how far our country has come.I met a little girl that was celebrating her 8th birthday the very day of inauguration   Ironically her name was Christian.  She was the sweetest little thing ever.  When I asked her questions she would answer, "Yes, mam."  "We love you Mr. President"
if you look close you can see the sharp shooters on top of the building

Stephanie this photo from her ticketed area.  Unfortunately she and Brad were not in the same area as us.
Our President addresses the Nation.


After the actual ceremonies we walked down the National Mall to meet up with Stephanie and Brad.  I wanted to take a few pictures at the Vietnam Memorial Wall.  


My favorite movie is "The American President" If you have seen it you will know why Dupont Circle was exciting for me to see.  Not just that, I was in awe with the architecture.  It was a beautiful area of D.C. 

We wanted to visit the Library of Congress because there was an exhibit entitled "The Civil War" We were able to see the original drafts of the Emancipation Proclamation.  This building was BEAUTIFUL. The amazing thing was it was FREE to visit the Library of Congress.  I would love to go back and schedule some visits to the areas of the library that were not open to the general public.  An area like, the Childrens Section.    

My only request for the weekend was a visit to the National Gallery to see the Claude Monet exhibit. I wanted to stay in this room for the whole day.  My dad taught me, as a young child, to appreciate art.  My french teacher, Mrs. Milburn, taught me to appreciate Claude Monet.  Seeing original pieces from Monet was a lifetime dream come true.



Hello, Id like to have a visit with The President....   I so wish.  Look how far away we had to stand to get a photo.  Even this far away there were still secret service.  The day after the inauguration the President and Mrs. Obama made a special visit to the tour groups that were at the white house that day.  JEALOUS  
We visited the Lincoln Memorial on one of our first nights in D.C. I was not ready for the emotions that overtook me as I stood at the feet of this true america hero.





I took this shot of myself about 3 in the afternoon on the day of inauguration.  I was emotionally and physically exhausted.  I was all alone.  Sitting on a bench.  People watching.   

1 comment:

Abbie said...

I'm so excited to see your posts of your trip! We've been saving change in our Coke bottle forever to take a family trip to DC. I don't know that it will ever happen though, haha. I love seeing your pics though! What an awesome trip for you!