CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, September 6, 2009

Humpty Dumpty

Last Wednesday, September 2, Steve, Tyler and Nate were delivering our local Newspaper. Tyler and Nate were in the back of Steve's old truck and somehow Nate fell out the back of the truck. He slid onto the asphalt head first. Steve says he looked out the mirror and saw him falling and he quickly stopped the truck and ran over to him. By that time Tyler had jumped out and was first to see our little Nate--He was bleeding from his head and lip. Tyler said that he was not conscience and had his legs and arms locked. Steve called 911 and called for the ambulance. In the mean time Steve was trying his hardest to keep Nate comfortable and still. He remembers lots of cars stopping and wanting to help. Tyler tried to call me but I was in Parent Teacher Conferences and I didnt answer. A few minutes later I got a text from him that said, "911". I got ahold of him and he was crying and told me Nate had fell and was on the way to the hospital. I quickly left school. I remember telling a few people to go sit in my room and tell the parents and I remember trying to find the principal. On the way out the door I was still talking to Tyler and trying to calm him down. I talked to one of the firefighters that were still there. He told me about Nates head injuries but also told me that Nate was crying. I was so glad to hear that!!! I called my mom and also our piano teacher because she had the other boys at her house. I got on scene and by this time there was only one fire truck and a police car. The officer was talking to Tyler and trying to get a report. He was saying that he tried to ask Steve questions but he was ignoring him while taking care of Nate. He finally let us go and we headed to the St. George hospital. I called Steve's Dad but then remembered that he was in Chicago at Kims house. I asked him to find someone to come over and give Nate a blessing. Tyler and I got to the ER and them wouldnt let us back into to room. That was the longest few minutes!!!! Steve came out to get us but Nate had already gone to get a CT scan of his head and neck. The nurses brought him back and we had our first look at Nate. He has an area on his head that looked like he had been scalped. His skull was showing and he also had an area on the other side of his head that was cut open. He had lots of scrapes and road rash on his hands, arms and legs. His lip was also bleeding and cut open. Tyler took a quick look at him and noticed that his legs and arms were not locked up any more. But, he did not like the look of Nates eyes...they had given him some medicine to sedated him. Tyler was shook up and wanted to leave. I took him to the family waiting room and we called one of his young men's leaders go come get him. As we were walking there I saw Uncle McKay Christian walking in. I got Tyler situated and walked into Nates room and heard McKay giving Nate a blessing. I dont remember anything he said but I do remember feeling like things would be ok. Steve and I walked down to see Tyler and the whole room was full of people that we knew and loved. Tylers leader gave him a blessing and we sent him to their house to rest. By this time the preliminary CT scan results came back clear. The other techs came in and cleaned up his other abrasions and then took x rays of every inch of his body. The ER was full of Drs and nurses that knew Steve very well and I am sure we received extra exceptional care because of this. The ER doctor came in and told us that all the scans and xrays came back clear and the next step was to get Nate's head put back together. A plastic surgeon came in and explained the surgery. We had Nate transfered to another floor by the surgery room. By this time Nate was starting to come to a bit and was able to respond to our questions. Grandma gave him a five dollar bill that he held in his hand until the went to surgery. He also held on to a yellow bear that the ambulance drivers gave him. Someone came in and asked us if we wanted something to drink. Nate piped up and said he wanted some Root Beer. And for the next hour or so he wanted Root Beer. The DRs took his back in for surgery and we got settled into the waiting room. Grandma went home to be with the other boys and Steve and I tried to rest. The surgery was about two hours and we got to go back to see him. He was asking for root beer again! The nurses gave him some and that was all he drank for the first 12 hours or so. We had to be transfered to the other hospital because it housed the pediatric unit. Steve went in the ambulance with him and I drove my car. I dont remember much of that drive but I remember seeing the lighted tree on top of the hospital. We got situated in his room and were both ready for a long night. Nate did not want the oxygen mask on him or anywhere near him for that matter. That was one of the biggest fights we had for the first night. Trying to keep his oxygen saturations up. I slept with Nate in his bed for some of the night. The next morning we just kept a watchful eye on Nate and looked for signs of his little personality come out. Little by little he asked us thing and we asked him questions. He looked at his scrapes on his arms and hands and asked where he got the owies from. He did not remember!!! Thank goodness. He got up and went potty two times while we were in the hospital. I was amazed that he could stand up all by himself. At about noon the pediatrician came in and checked him out. He gave us the go ahead to go home. Nate had had a rough morning at the hospital and did not want to be touched. He was extra sensitive to any stimulation and all he wanted to do was go home. Steve and I drove him home about two oclock. Grandma had a bed all made up for him on the recliner. We had his favorite beanie babies and his favorite fire truck blanket. We spent much of the day trying to keep him comfortable but he was still very agitated and onry. It was a rough day for him and for all of us. At one point I was ready to take him back to the hospital just so they could watch him. I hated to see him cry and be uncomfortable. Steve and Grandma kept a good eye on him--with all of their medical knowledge and medical supplies. Paramedic school finally paid off!!! Each day Nate has got increasingly better and happier. He seems to be remembering more and more of the accident but I'm not sure if it is because we have talked about it so much. The brothers were amazingly tender with him for about the first 24 hours home. Now they are jealous of all the presents people have brought over for him. Tyler spent one evening talking to me about the accident. He told me details that I am not sure I wanted to hear but I am confident helped him begin to heal from the trauma of seeing this horrible accident. Steve has also seemed to be recovering from the initial shock. He has kept himself busy with some new solar powered appliances. He finally went to work today. I will post a section of the email that he sent to his brother. The emotions in it show how scared he was. As for me, I am wondering how I stayed so calm in spite if how terrified I was. I have never in my life been that calm yet so scared. I know without a doubt that we all were being watched over and guided by Heavenly Father and many angels. Thanks so much to everyone who said prayers in our behalf. I think about 90% of the Hurricane Fire and Rescue Department called or came by to see Steve and Nate. Many other members of our ward and more family members also called or paid a visit. THANK YOU for you love and prayers I know that we couldn't have made it without them. I will post pictures later but for now you can check some out on my facebook.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Scariness! I'm so glad he is okay. It's a good thing boys are sturdy. I love your haircut!

Lori J said...

that is so scary, i am so sorry to hear he had to go through all of this. Rachelle isnt it amazing how you just pull through during hard times like this, your right there are trully angels watching. Love you guys, take care, call when you can

Jessica said...

So sad! I got choked up reading! He was surrounded by angels!