I was not going to Blog about this... but I saw this quote written on a blog that I follow. Although she was writing in response to a political statement that she wrote...I feel like it sums up every feeling I have had since last Tuesday.
OK for the this...There was a situation at our school. Many of the teachers at our school, as well as other schools, felt could have been handled differently. As employees, parents and tax payers we wrote a letter to the school board and our state legislators stating the situation along with some of our other concerns that we were having. We got ourselves in a bit of trouble because we did not follow our districts "Grievance Policy." We were also chastised because we went over the heads of our administrators. We should have wrote the letter to them and then we should have given them a chance to respond before the letter was sent to the school board.
"Do I think that what we wrote last week was stupid? No. Emotional? Absolutely. And we think it was through that emotion that we hurt some people when what we thought we were doing was asking questions. We did not intend for that to happen, but it did. And while we are happy we stood up for what we really believe in, we feel terrible that so many people felt like they were being slapped across the face. Because, we know exactly how that feels. And we hate that we contributed to someone feeling that way. Does this mean we are sorry for what we wrote? Not exactly. Every one of those words came straight from our gut, and we still feel so passionately about. But I am sorry that the way we wrote it was taken as an insult to so many people, and we know we could have been more compassionate when stringing together our thoughts. Because compassion is the only way that most of the things that are wrong in this world are going to get better. We could have done it better. We are sorry we didn't, but we are willing to try harder next time.” (Heather Armstrong) I took the liberty of changing a few of the pronouns and deleting a few words.
P.S. I have participated in a photo tag but I started it a few days ago and when I published it showed up a few posts down. Scroll down if you would like to see it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Now I'm interested...what was the event? I am so curious. Man, I wish I was there.
Way to express your feelings on the blog! You did a nice job and your words were very tasteful and truthful! I hope you feel better now that you have blogged it!
Thanks for the update. Charity filled me in. I think you were justified in what you did. I would not have been so brave. Way to go!
Post a Comment