CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 9, 2012

I'm over feeling sorry for myself ;)  I'm not quite sure what was up.  Well, I do know.  I was/am feeling like my boys don't really need me any more.  They are just starting to grow up.  We are moving into a totally new stage in our lives and parenting is getting more and more difficult.  TEENAGERS and PRETEENS (need I say more?)  Seriously, it is like being a  mom to aliens.  I am afraid for myself and for them.

Steve is a WONDERFUL father.  I am envious of his patience with them.  I need to learn more from him.  I let the boys attitudes and yelling and eye rolling and mood swings and hormones and selfishness and entitlement and.....get the best of me.  I just do not now how to do it!  The other day, I had to go to my bedroom and lock the door, turn the T.V. really loud.  I found myself loosing every ounce of patience I had.  I did not want to hear another kid tattle or wine or tease or cry.  One would think that all of these things would have been a symptom of toddlerhood but NO it is an on going struggle in our home and they do it LOUDER.

I see another issue I am having is the fact that I do not have many friends that are in this same stage of life.  I do not have many girl friends to compare my struggles with.  I wish my sisters-in-law were closer so I could WATCH how they Parent.  I especially wish Jeneal was closer because she has 3 teenage boys.

I am coming to understand that I need to be physically involved with the "Boy Stuff" that they enjoy.  By boy stuff I mean shooting guns, camping and hiking.  I also need to go and not be such a bossy mom.  I kinda freak out a bit about safety, cleanliness and what I deem appropriate behavior.  In the past, I have let Steve take the boys and do that stuff.  I love the peace and quiet.  When they were all little I used that time to clean the house.  Now, I realize that I need to go with them and CHILL OUT so they enjoy having me there.

Enough rambling.

3 comments:

lynne said...

isnt it amazing the answers you come up with when you write it all out? im sorry your having a hard time, your a good mom, but teanagers are rough on the mom. hang in there it will be over in about 10 years then youll wish it all back. love you girl!

Abbie said...

I came to comment and can't remember what I was going to say. Remember, my brain is mush, haha. I do know that you are a good mom and you have raised good boys and I am so glad to have you as my friend!
P.S. Thanks for inviting me :)

Lisa Henderson said...

Being a Mom is so hard!