Yesterday my dear friend and mentor, Jill Ehorn-Foy, was laid to rest. I struggled all week trying to decide to go to the funeral services or not. I was perfectly at peace when I found out that Jill passed away on Easter morning. I felt, as many did, that this was Jill's way of reminding us of the "greater plan" that though Jesus Christ she is now free of the cancer that has plagued her body for the past year. I just wasnt sure if I could emotionally handle the services. I am so glad that my friends from school encouraged me to go. Yes it was difficult to see and hear. Yes, I cried, a lot. But, my heart was full. I want to become the person Jill was/is. I want to be the mother, daughter, friend and teacher that she was/is.
I first met Jill about 10 years ago. She was the Staff Developer at Three Falls Elem. At that time I was the Staff Developer at West Elem in St. George. We were colleges and acquaintances. In January of 2002 our ward was spilt and realigned and Jill and I became part of the same ward family. She was called to be my visiting teacher right before Luke was born. I have vivid memories of Jill sitting on my couch holding my Luke. She often told me to enjoy the precious time. Each and every month she visited me. She taught me. She was my friend. I admired her strength and dedication to the Church and her willingness to be the example of pure Christlike love. One evening she knocked on my door and immediately I knew something was wrong. But there she was with a plate full of cookies. She let me know that the would be missing our visit in a few days because her daughter had just delivered a beautiful baby girl but that the was sill born. She held Luke in her arms and cried. In the fall of 2003, I was pregnant with Nate. Steve was attending school to become an EMT. Jill called each WEEK. She knew that I needed a friendly voice in the mist of chaos of being a teacher and a mother of 3 young boys with one on the way. Around that time her husband had died suddenly and instead of wallowing in her self pitty she served. As another friend put it, "Jill mastered the art of having the Savior's image in her countenance and being her friend was an honor."
I will miss my friend. I will miss the unexpected phone calls, especially when I need a minute to calm down. She always called when I needed it most. I will miss seeing her at district meetings and church meetings. I will miss seeing her drive by my on her way to school. I will miss being able to call her when I have a question about a math program or a difficult student.
Jill has left a lasting impression on me and my family. Often the kids would refer to her as "Mom's Jill" she was MY JILL. I love her. On the back of the program was this message from her; "I want all of you to know that I know God lives and loves each one of us in a personal way. Whether you are a believer in Him or not, He loves us and we are His children. I have not doubt about this fact. Heavenly Father does know me and what I am going through and what I need...I must be faithful and charitable toward others. I have been encouraged to keep teaching as a valuable and charitable service...to share my faith and be a light on a hill that could not be looked away from."
3 comments:
A wonderful reminder for us all. Thanks for sharing a beautiful message.
She sounds like quite a few ladies that I know and admire. Death is always difficult in many ways, but the memories with that person will last a lifetime.
What a beautiful tribute to Jill!
Post a Comment