CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Our version of "17 Miracles"

If you dont know about the Willie and Martin Handcart company....Go see "17 Miracles".  You wont regret it!  For the last part of our Christian family vacation we stopped at the Historical site known as "Martin's Cove."  It is in Wyoming.  The site holds a special place in LDS chuch history.  Many saints that crossed the plains to get to the Salt Lake Valley died on their way.  The Willie and Martin handcart companies lost many men, women and children because they choose to leave Nebraska too late in the season.  They were stuck in the plains in the dead of winter without sufficient provisions.  I am amazed that some did make it all the way to the Salt Lake Valley.  I am in awe of their strength and simple faith.  Faith that our Heavenly Father would guide them.  I just dont think I could have done it!  In fact, about 3 miles into our walk, Nate and I decided we would just sit and wait for the others to return.  Yes, I did get on my feet and finish the 6 mile loop, but it was not fun.  Even riding in the handcart was not enjoyable.  It was hot.  It was windy.  There were many bugs.  But why should I complain???
At the beginning of our trek all the boys pulled the handcart.  It was light and easy to pull.  But, can you even begin to imagine pulling the handcart through waist high mud and snow?  

We were lucky enough to have 34 members to the Christian Handcart Company.  Grandpa Clark lead the way.

Nate took this picture of Steve and I.  See I was even smiling!!!
At the top of the path we were greeted by two LDS missionaries .  They told us some stories about the saints that spent winter nights in the cove waiting to be rescued.  Many froze to death in the nights.  This spot was the most touching for me.  I did shed a few tears.  I could not even imagine burying my children or husband under the snow just to have the wolves come and desecrate their bodies.  

Would you want to cross this river in the dead of winter?  

Devils Gate.  All saints had to go through this spot to  continue their way to the  Salt Lake Valley.  

"This is the Place" monument
No, we didnt pull our handcarts all the way to the Salt Lake Valley!!! We drove in our comfy cars.  But we made it!  We finished our vacaation and if you look close most of us are still smiling.  But, what I took away from this vacation was the fact that we all are expected to do hard things.  The early saints were expected to leave their homes and come to the Salt Lake Valley.  I am expected to lead my family through hard times.  I am expected to lead my "saints" to eventually live with Heavenly Father.  I wonder if the early saints look down on us and think, "Man, I'm sure glad I didnt have to live during this time."

1 comment:

Muriel said...

Our ward did a Pioneer Trek when I was 18. We did a portion of that trail, 27 miles total. It was an experience I will never forget. I'd love to take my kids there.